Monday, March 12, 2012

Knitting!?!

My husband and I are leaving for a two week trip to Europe soon. We are super excited to get away and see some new places we've never been before. One of the first things we are doing is going to a soccer game in London on the day we arrive in Europe. I'm a little bit nervous to be in the stands with all of the soccer hooligans, but I'll have my husband there to protect me so I'm sure I'll be just fine. :) Anyway, with the completion of my jelly roll quilt I didn't really have any smaller WiPs on my to do list. My husband quickly had a suggestion for me.

He asked if I would be able to make him a scarf for the soccer game. I looked at him and said, "If I quilt it maybe, but I don't know how to knit and I'm awful at crochet." He said, "What if I challenge you to knit one?" I looked at him with a you've-got-to-be-kidding-me look. We only have a few days before our trip and I know I'm just terrible with yarn crafts. But, I'll admit, I was intrigued...


So, of course I accepted the challenge! (He is a sweetheart though and has told me several times that I don't actually have to finish this scarf by the time we leave.) I already had some white yarn from a wreath that I made a little while ago, so we just had to get some black. He even came to the craft store with me! Here's a picture of the scarf that my husband would like. At first he chose one with words on it - and I quickly told him that there was no way I could do something like that in a couple days! Maybe once I get different types of knitting stitches down I'll be able to make him a better scarf for next winter. I'm definitely not that great at it right now.


After watching a few youtube videos, I figured it wasn't as hard as I had always thought knitting was. I got my mother-in-law to teach me how to "cast on" and to do the basic knit stitch. After a few tries I got it down and then started going. I'm hoping that I'll have this done by the time we leave for Europe. I have a feeling all of my free time will be dedicated toward making this scarf, but I find it quite enjoyable actually. It's definitely going to be a little lopsided and not as good as it should be, but it'll work! I feel like I should have started with a pot holder instead of a soccer scarf, but I know it's something my husband will appreciate. :) Happy Crafting!

1 comment:

  1. I love crafting :)
    your post is amazing!

    http://bubblemylicorice.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments and questions. Feel free to drop me a line!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...